I’ve Fallen and I Can’t Get UP!
There may have been a moment in time when we’ve all joked about this statement but if you or a loved one has a vestibular disorder or balance/dizziness issues it’s NO LAUGHING MATTER.
Some vestibular disorder symptoms include:
Vestibular disorders are caused by damage to the vestibular system; and what a system it is with components that are both small and extremely complex. The vestibular system is intimately integrated with our central and peripheral nervous systems and interact closely with other functions of the body including balance, vision, hearing and spatial comprehension just to name a few.
Common symptoms of vestibular disorders are:
- Dizziness and vertigo
- Imbalance and spatial disorientation
- Visual disturbances
- Hearing changes or loss of hearing
- Cognitive and psychological changes
There are many ways to cause damage to components of the vestibular system. Some of these are:
- inner ear issues
- head trauma or a concussion
- viral or bacterial infections
- some other unspecified cause.
How can Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy help?
- Treat Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Tackle symptoms related to vertigo, dizziness, and light headedness
- Focus on dizziness related to walking, head turning, and mobility
- Improve balance and gait deficits
- Complete a fall assessment and address fall prevention
- Increase coordination and body control
Sound complex? It is!
Luckily for you or your loved one, Elevate Physical Therapy Fitness and Performance has the regions only certified vestibular specialist on staff. She is uniquely qualified and skilled with 20+ years of experience helping patients recover quickly from Vestibular issues. Call today to schedule your evaluation and to get on the road to recovery.